Skip to main content

Reading Is Probably The Most Enlightening Experience One Could Have

When I was little, I did not like reading… at all. I only read when I was forced to read one. My reading habit only developed after I reached high school. Many of my friends and teachers in high school were ardent readers and shared keen interest for books. Wherever I went I saw people carrying books in their hands – in assembly, in multipurpose hall, in dining hall, at balcony, at school garden, and, at rare occasions, I would see a guy carrying a book in his hand coming out from toilet. In his defense, I think he was making most out of his time by multitasking two businesses at a time. And I respect that.

The whole setting was different. Everything was big, beautiful and… old: students, teachers, buildings and books. The only new thing here was ‘us’ – new students from lower secondary schools. We were left spellbound by the whole experience around us, and the environment we were in. Eventually it did fade away – the spell – as we also became part of the school, like many students before us. One thing that is still fresh in my memories is The Library. It was double, maybe triple, the size of my previous school’s library. And the books… the books were plenty and several in volumes. I just admired the magnificent size of it. (I too have started to collect books since then, and I continue to add new books in my personal library. By count I have 452 different books. As I reflect, my mom used to complain about the space it took in the house. To which I would promptly retort: “Don’t worry mom! I’m soon going to send all these books to your daughter-in-law’s house.”)

Where were we? I guess I got carried away with my book collection. Let’s get back to where we were.

Reading is contagious, and when you spend most of your time with people who read 100+ books in a year, you are bound to become one. My metamorphosis was followed by borrowing of books from library. 

I would borrow a new book every single week. At times I felt I was burdening the librarian with my weekly demands, but later I found she also shared same passion for books/reading. With my regular visits and interaction, we developed a special bond (book-friends, I would say) and shared same interest. We began to exchange our favorite reading lists with each other. She would recommend books – mostly fiction – and I would read in my spare time. I would also recommend her books – mostly nonfiction – and she would read in her spare time. We also shared our opinion after reading the books. It was a healthy practice I somehow enjoyed it. And when I graduated my high school, I continued my practice in college. And then after my college.

Today I am proud to say that I am a Reader – an ardent reader, if I may. All thanks to my friends, teachers and people who inspired me to read when I was in high school. The habit continued and today I am reaping its benefits. If I had to describe my reading experience in few words, it is this:

“Reading is probably the most enlightening experience one can have. It takes us to a myriad of journeys that is only limited to our imagination. The sadness, the happiness – all kinds of emotions – places, objects, animals, people… everything is condensed in one little book, which is mindboggling, but at the same time beautiful. One gets to pick it up from a shelf and read it, I think it’s a gift in itself. If people don’t read it then it’s their loss; a terrible loss. They don’t know what they are missing. Maybe a gift is not meant for everyone, but the deserved few. And I am proud to be one.”

My only wish is that more people come forward and start reading more books.  

Until then, enjoy reading! 




If you have any suggestions or questions about this post, please leave it in the comment section below. And if you like this article, give it a share!

Popular posts from this blog

Waste Problems in Bhutan

“We must be the change we wish to see in the world.” ― Mahatma Gandhi.
In Bhutan, it is not uncommon to see ugly sight of garbage dumped on the roadside, solid waste thrown away at river banks, and landfills amassed with huge amount of rubbish. It is becoming more and more difficult for municipalities to manage solid waste in an efficient manner as urbanization and population has both increased.

Thirty years ago, it was not a big issue as Bhutan had no more than 600,000 people and more than half of the population lived in rural areas. Bhutanese imported few goods from the neighboring countries, mainly India. They produced almost everything in their own country, such as: milk, cheese, butter, rice, meat, wool, cotton, etc. But in recent years, Bhutanese's consumption pattern has changed and people started to import a large number of goods, spending billions of Ngultrum. Because of this continuous trend, waste generation and disposal has become a major issue in Bhutan.

Part of the reas…

Can We Live Longer Than We Think?

Throughout history, mankind has been in a quest for elixir, a magical potion that would prolong life indefinitely, for thousands of years. Be it in a story of a brave hero's journey in a strange world of magic and powers to save his beloved, or today's world where scientists are working day and night to break the human code and solve ageing, and get people live longer. 


According to scientific evidences, human originated from apelike ancestors and evolved over a period of approximately 6,000,000 years ago. But they didn't have basic human traits such as ability to walk on two legs, make and use tools around them, language, etc. It took another two million years to develop several of these traits. It was a mechanism to survive from wild animals and harsh environment. Many believe that advanced human traits, including complex symbolic expression, elaborate cultural diversity, and art, emerged mainly during the past 100,000 years. Throughout the evolution, all humans have been…

Busy Life!

We miss out on so many small things around us when we are busy with our LIFE. I just realized this when I looked out from my balcony this morning. 

I woke up at 6 and made my coffee and sat on a small wooden chair at the balcony. I was just taking a deep breath and enjoying the morning view with sip of hot strong coffee. The morning view is always amazing from where I am sitting, but lately I have not been able to enjoy this moment because of my “new work schedule.” I am working late nights and waking up quite late in the mornings. I hardly get time to sit and take rest because I will always find something to do, even in free time. But today was different! It was Sunday and I woke up quite early. I had nothing to do, literally. I had done all my chores the other day – laundry, cleaning, dishes, garbage, etc. So I had Sunday free for myself. I can choose to do anything I wanted but I chose to stay at home. Home is also one of my favorite hangout places.
So I am at balcony, sipping coffee…