Why I Fear Writing

I have never been a big fan of Writing, and for that reason, I’m always scared of putting words on paper or screen. To make matter worse, when I read my friend's writings I can’t help but compare it with my own writing style. Most of their writings, I feel, are creatively written. Their writings are concise, and easy to READ. Some say, ‘Easy reading is damn hard writing’, but when I read my friend’s writings, I feel writing comes easy to them – maybe, a natural gift or talent. Writing is an effortless task, my friends would say, but never did I understand that statement. Writing has always been a major challenge to me. It is complicated, difficult and extremely laborious.

I would type words on screen, try to form meaningful sentences, and create beautiful paragraphs, but when I re-read again, I always feel it lacks something; maybe a spontaneity, a uniqueness, or even, if I may, a Magic – or something more. Because of this void or lacking, I eventually delete my file and restart the whole procedure from the very beginning – it goes on for many days.

So how do I keep writing without giving up? Maybe – just maybe – the answer lies in my Fear. I fear a lot when it comes to writing, if I must admit. Fear of disappointment, fear of rejection and fear of disregard. I care what people will think. I care what people will say. And several other thoughts cloud my head. But should that stop me from writing? Absolutely No! I should try to tackle this problem head on. Instead of running away or hiding, I should face it one-on-one. So what’s my strategy? It’s very simple: Writing. I have made a promise to myself that I will start writing about anything that comes to my mind for next 30 days, as an experiment. It’s like a physical exercise but for the brain. The exercise lets writers to pour their thoughts on any topic or subject. It helps them to stretch their mind and think as far as they can, without any boundaries. I don’t know for sure that it will work for me, but it has worked for many. And I feel there is no harm in giving a try. If you have same problem you can also try this exercise. I hope it brings positive result to you.

So, yeah… for next 30 days I will be writing about all the crazy stuffs that comes to my mind. There will be no restraint whatsoever. And I might use improper language (warning!) in my writing – not all the time though!

If you have any suggestions or questions about this post, please leave it in the comment section below. And if you like this article, give it a share!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waste Problems in Bhutan

Infrequent Blogger, Me

Mistakes